On January 14th 2010, the Central Vancouver Island Multicultural Society hosted the signing of a MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING to create The Diversity Partnership: A Community in Action.
The parties signing the memorandum formalized their commitment to envisioning a community that is welcoming and inclusive where individuals and communities feel respected and diversity is celebrated.
Memorandum of Understanding
for Diversity Partnership: A Community in Action
The parties to this memorandum agree to the following:
Article 1 – Vision for our Community:
A place that is welcoming and inclusive where individuals and communities feel respected and diversity is celebrated.
Article 2 – Statement of Purpose:
To enhance the capacity of the Nanaimo community to be welcoming and inclusive by:
- Encouraging and supporting multi-sectoral collaboration.
- Facilitating an effective flow of information about programs, projects, tools, as well as education and training.
- Providing relevant knowledge-based leadership
- Using an innovative solution based process.
- Providing a focal point for diversity initiatives
- Creating opportunities for community engagement and input.
Article 3 – Structure of the Partnership:
- A community, project-based partnership of institutions, agencies, business/community organizations and individuals who work toward our common vision.
- A minimum of three partnership meetings per year, or more frequently as needed
This agreement is an outline of our intentions to work together in good faith and is not a legally binding document.
Parties to this Memorandum of Understanding:
Central Vancouver Island Multicultural Society
City of Nanaimo
Community Futures of Central Island
Greater Nanaimo Chamber of Commerce
Nanaimo Duncan & District Labour Council
RCMP, Nanaimo Detachment
School District #68 (Nanaimo-Ladysmith)
Snuneymuxw First Nation
United Way of Central North Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island University